Study Away students in Ghana visited the Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum, a significant politico‐historical site.
Study Away students at Shanghai Jiao Tong University spent Thanksgiving with alumni at the Cornell Club of Shanghai.
Throughout the year, the Cornell China Center supported distance learners with career information sessions and social events that included Cornell alumni.
Cornellians played in a three-on-three basketball tournament against University of Illinois exchange students and ZJU students.
Local Cornell Learning Communities Abroad
During the 2020–21 academic year, some international students could not return to campus due to ongoing travel restrictions and visa processing delays caused by the global pandemic. Cornell University rapidly worked with academic partners worldwide to support these students by creating onsite, in-residence Study Away options. These international students lived and studied at or near a local campus in their home country while remotely taking Cornell classes and one on-campus class. Students shared co-curricular activities with Cornell peers and had access to local facilities and services, providing a local Cornell community away from Ithaca.
A total of 749 international students during two semesters learned at 10 Study Away locations around the world.
- China Agricultural University, Peking University, and Tsinghua University | Beijing
- CIEE/University of Ghana | Legon, Ghana
- City University of Hong Kong | Hong Kong
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University-UM Joint Institute | Shanghai, China
- University of Cantabria | Santander, Spain
- VinUniversity | Hanoi, Vietnam
- Westlake University | Hangzhou, China
- Yonsei University | Seoul, South Korea
- Zhejiang University International Campus | Haining, China
Study Away in the News
- Students Find Academic Home in Study Away (Nov. 18, 2020)
- Study Away Option Supports International Students (July 10, 2020)
- At ZJU: Studying Away from the U.S. for Chinese Students (Sept. 19, 2020, Zhejiang University)
- Chinese Students Study 'Abroad' in China this Fall (Sept. 17, 2020, Global Times)
- Across China: Studying Away From the U.S. for Chinese Students (Sept. 13, 2020, Xinhua)
- COVID-19 Opportunities for Internationalisation at Home (Aug. 29, 2020, University World News)
- CityU to Arrange Cornell Students to Study on Campus (July 24, 2020, CityU)
- Kick-Starting the Study Away Program: A Visit from Cornell Students (July 22, 2020, VinUniversity)
- Cornell to Let Stranded Chinese Students Attend Local Colleges (July 7, 2020, Caixin Global)