Pandemic Travel Advice
Visit Cornell's COVID-19 Response for campus-wide information.
The following is provided for informational purposes only. Please refer to Cornell's Travel Policy before undertaking any Cornell-related travel.
COVID-19 Travel, Preparation and Prevention Advice
- Do NOT travel if you are sick. If you need to delay or cancel your trip due to a confirmed case of COVID, costs for trip delays may be covered by Cornell's insurance policy. Be sure to obtain a PCR test to prove your positive case, as at home tests are not adequate for insurance claims. Cornell's international travel insurance benefits are available here and the Trip Delay & Interruption Claim Form can be downloaded here (Cornell NetID required).
- If you have decided to travel, see the International SOS video on tips for safe return to travel.
- Ensure your COVID-19 vaccination is up to date, including a booster.
- Familiarize yourself with travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, testing, screening and other procedures at your destination and after you return. See the International SOS COVID trip planner.
- Wherever possible, use electronic devices (tickets, apps, payments, check-in) to minimize multiple people handling your items. Download the relevant COVID apps for your destination.
- Know the requirements on wearing masks, rules on social distancing, security threats and the COVID-19 situation.
- Carry and use your own personal hygiene kit, including hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, face masks, etc.
- Avoid touching shared objects as much as practical. If you must touch objects which are handled by many people, use hand sanitizer promptly afterwards and avoid touching your face.
- In public areas, as much as possible, distance from others. When queuing, abide by any distance markers.
Before you Travel by Plane
- Reconfirm your flight departure date and time, as last minute changes can occur.
- Ensure your documentation, including vaccination and test results, are available and in the format required by the authorities at your destinations.
- Stay apprised of any changes to your airline's check-in procedures; onboard measures vary by airline and must be adhered to.