Skip to main content

Safety and Security

London tube

Registering your travel

Registration is:

  • Mandatory for all students and staff traveling internationally on Cornell-related business.
  • Mandatory for all faculty traveling internationally with students.
  • Strongly encouraged for faculty traveling on Cornell-related business.
  • Not for personal travel (vacation).
  • Not for domestic travel.

Register your travel here

Travel to elevated-risk destinations

  • Student travel to elevated-risk destinations is prohibited without approval and will result in withdrawal or repayment of any university funds provided.
  • Pre-travel approval should be sought 6-8 weeks prior to travel.
  • ITART will review petitions to examine the traveler’s experience in the destination, their understanding of the specific risks associated with their plans, the steps being taken to mitigate those risks, and the traveler’s support network at their destination.
  • Travelers may be called for an in-person meeting to discuss their plans prior to approval.

Petition your travel to an elevated-risk destination here

For information, refer to Cornell Policy 8.5—Risk Management for International Travel

Safety Training

  • Cornell offers a short, online, free course, International Travel Pre-Departure Orientation, for all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students who are planning to travel internationally for academic business.  Students will receive a confirmation email once the course is completed.  Off-campus Activity Leaders or program managers may request such if they wish to require this orientation as part of their off-campus activity.

Note: By default all faculty, students, and staff who have previously used Blackboard have a university Canvas account to access the course. Those Cornell community members without an account can request one by visiting  For non-Cornell users, an account can be requested by visiting

Enroll in STEP

U.S. citizens and nationals: Enroll your travel with STEP, the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. You will receive important information from the embassy about safety conditions in your destination countries and help them contact you in case of an emergency. Non-U.S. citizens may be able to register with their country's embassy.

Driving Motor Vehicles Abroad

Cornell Policy 8.5, Risk Management for International Travel, states that students traveling internationally on Cornell travel are prohibited from driving any type of motor vehicle, motorcycle, moped, etc., without explicit permission from ITART.  Students who wish to seek permission are asked to complete and submit this form: 

Useful Resources

Identity and Diversity

First Aid Training