Planning and Checklists
- Traveling as part of a program managed by or affiliated with Cornell, such as a study-abroad program, a college exchange, Global Health, IARD, etc? Refer to the checklist provided by your program.
- Traveling independently* or as part of a registered student organization trip? Refer to the Independent Traveler Checklist:
Graduate and Professional Students
- For help in planning your international travel, refer to the Independent Traveler Checklist:
- If you are leading students on a Cornell-sponsored trip, you can access Cornell's Checklist for Trip Leaders to help you plan for health, safety, emergencies, team-building and understanding your destination.
Faculty and Staff
- If you are traveling for research or other purposes and will not be leading a trip or taking students along, Cornell's Faculty and Staff Pre-Travel Checklist provides all you need to consider while planning your trip.
- Be sure that someone knows where you are and plan to go.
- Register with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, STEP, to receive embassy updates and so that they can contact you in case of an emergency.
- Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Vary your routine.