Global Cornell Initiative
Global Cornell energizes and focuses the university’s commitment to meaningful and effective global engagement.
Our charge is to renew and integrate internationalization efforts across the university. The vice provost for international affairs spearheads the strategies to accomplish this goal.
Our primary mission is academic: to help students develop skills that prepare them to move successfully and responsibly through the world. We work with colleges, schools, and units to increase access and opportunities so that 100 percent of Cornell students have viable options for global learning, whether in Ithaca, New York State, or abroad.
We work to enhance global learning opportunities, attract and support internationally engaged faculty, expand Cornell’s global presence. We accomplish this by mobilizing funding and providing university infrastructure for internationalization efforts, developing partnerships, and providing expert leadership through internal and external advisory boards.
Since the university's commitment to the Global Cornell Initiative in FY2014 (see the foundational documents), members of the Cornell community have come together to support our global vision. We have created new linkages where none existed before, both within the institution and with partners around the world. Together, we are expanding opportunities for global learning, teaching, research, and engagement, and enhancing Cornell’s global presence.
Collectively we are promoting an ethos that speeds culture change across the university—so that global is who we are, how we think, what we do.
Accomplishments of FY2016:
- Increased support for faculty, resulting in the development of additional academic courses with an international focus
- Increased visibility, accessibility, and equitability of global learning opportunities for Cornell undergraduate students
- Expansion of Cornell’s global presence to establish, in China, an inaugural global office
Priorities for FY2017:
- Develop and align additional infrastructure to support the global activities of faculty and students
- Through the Provost’s Public and Global Activities Working Group and the Internationalization Council, increase coordination with the colleges/schools and units to implement strategies to achieve public and global engagement goals
- Improve access to international experiences for all students by continuing to address financial and curricular barriers
- Emphasize global-at-home opportunities for all students, domestic and international
- Enhance international students’ experiences and connection to the campus community