Cornell China Advisory Board
“The Cornell China Advisory Board will provide important counsel, and we are enormously grateful for the members’ commitment and energy,” says Laura Spitz, Cornell vice provost for international affairs.
The role of the board members is to provide the university with ongoing strategic advice regarding the development of Cornell’s increasing presence in China, according to Spitz. It is anticipated that the inaugural board will grow and evolve to match the expanding needs of Cornell-China relationships.
Cornell University inducted the first seven members of its Cornell China Advisory Board in a ceremony on April 2, 2016 at the Rosewood Hotel in Beijing. Spitz and Yu, chair of the newly inducted board, conducted the ceremony and presented the board members to an alumni audience who were gathered for the Asia-Pacific Leadership Conference hosted by Cornell’s International Alumni Programs office.
Additional members were invited to join the board in fall 2016.
The members of the inaugural Cornell-China Advisory Board are leaders of some of the most innovative firms in China:
- Gang Yu, MS ’86 (physics), co-founder and chairman of New Peak Group; chair
- Liming Chen, MS ’89, chairman of IBM Greater China Group
- Mei-Wei Cheng ’72 (operations research), non-executive chairman of Pactera Technology Ltd
- Kenneth H. Jarrett ’75 (history), president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- Jun Lei, founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Xiaomi Corporation
- Chenjian “C.J.” Li, vice provost of Peking University
- Ooi Lee “William” Lim ’81 (architecture), MArch ’82, founder and managing director of CL3
- Qiangdong “Richard” Liu, founder, chairman, and chief executive officer of JD.com
- Huateng Ma, core founder, chairman of the board, and chief executive officer of Tencent Holdings Ltd.
- Xuezheng “Mary” Ma, non-executive director of Unilever PLC and Lenovo Group Ltd.
- Shi Wang, founder and former chairman of China Vanke Real Estate Co., Ltd.
- Dian “Teddy” Zhang ’97 (hotel administration), senior advisor to the chairman of Thayer Lodging/Brookfield Hotel Properties
- Yaqin Zhang, president of Baidu, Inc.
- Jia “Jonathan” Zhu, JD ’92, managing director of Bain Capital Asia, LLC
The board members will serve three-year terms.